P: +61 7 3823 4988
F: +61 7 3823 1588
Shop 1/72 Old Cleveland Rd Capalaba 4157
The hourly rate system is always the cheapest way to move a short distance. This system eliminates a lot of the overheads normally incurred with fixed priced moves. Even more savings can be made by reducing the amount you have your removalist do.
At MiniMovers, we give you the total freedom to do as much as you want: the more you do, the lower the cost. However, our MiniMovers crews are available to help you with any moving need. If you want us to, we can take care of your entire move: from having MiniMovers BoxestoYou supply you with quality packing materials, to pre-packing with our MiniMovers Pre-packing service, to moving all your goods (including heavy items such as pianos), to dismantling and reassembling furniture, to disconnecting and reconnecting electrical items, to unpacking your goods after the move.
These hints will assist you in preparing your short distance MiniMovers move, so your moving time will be reduced saving you $$$.
1. Planning. You are hiring our equipment, expertise and labour. Use it where you have to. Take into consideration your physical capabilities and the amount of time you can spare. Good planning and preparation will save you money!
2. Pre-packing. Almost everyone underestimates the pre-packing time needed to pack small items. If packing yourself, start well before the moving date and check our hints on packing your items section. You can also view our video, Packing Moving Made Easy. Our packing hints are designed to help you pack properly. Unfortunately our No Damage Guarantee does not cover items that you have packed yourself. If you are concerned by this, and want your small items covered, then call us and we can send a professional MiniMovers Pre-packing pre-packer, who will pack whatever you need.
3. Items to empty. Wardrobes and desk drawers must be emptied. Chests of drawers need to have breakable, loose, and heavy items removed. Light clothing may remain. Never tape drawers shut. As a rule, furniture with doors must be emptied. Gas bottles and equipment such as lawnmowers must be empty before we carry them.
4. Pack in good boxes. Lots of small open boxes (that cannot be stacked) take a lot longer to move than goods packed in the right sizes boxes. On the other hand, using boxes so large that they become overweight can dramatically slow down the moving process. Using proper removal boxes will not only help ensure a safe no damage move, but it also speeds up your move.
5. Reduce the number of items. Moving your small items yourself will reduce MiniMovers moving time. However, doing many trips in a car will end up costing you more than it would to have us move it, especially if you loaded the small items while the MiniMovers crew loaded the larger items. The number of items can also be reduced by tying loose items such as brooms and mops in bundles. Leave drawers in dressers.
6. Reduce the distance. Every trip to the truck takes time. If you have pre-packed your small items, try and have them near where the truck will park. Blocking entrances means we waste time when we arrive. Clear access ensures quick moving. Keeping small children and pets away during the move also helps.
7. Dismantling. Dismantle beds, mirrors from dressers, and other furniture items (those which had to be assembled when purchased) before your MiniMovers crew arrives. Losing small items, especially keys, is common when moving and is very frustrating. Keep all screws and bolts in bags, and remember where you put them. Put the hose off the washing machine inside the machine.
8. Fridges/Freezers. Do not defrost less than one week before moving. Water in the trays causes problems. On your moving day, near the end of loading, we will indicate when the fridge should be emptied. We will then load the fridge last, and unload it first. This minimises the time your goods are out of refrigeration.
9. Very heavy items. Leave heavy items (such as pianos, pool tables, large safes, etc) to the experts, MiniMovers. When booking, please let us know about these items.
10. Flat glass items. This includes plate glass, paintings, prints, table tops, and wall unit shelves. Simply leave them bare for us to handle. Never pack plate glass or glass front paintings in boxes.
11. Pot plants. Do not water them for a few days prior to the move.
12. Water beds. If possible, siphon out. There is an easy way to do this - check with us. If your bed has baffles, carefully fold the mattress or leave it to us. If the bed has a timber frame, you may only need to loosen the screws to disassemble.
Office moving can often be complex, with lots of small items that need to be located in the right place. Your MiniMovers crew will be very experienced and can sort things out quickly, but they can only deal with what they are presented. Your move will proceed more quickly and smoothly if it is organised properly.
Our biggest tip is to have ONLY ONE PERSON in charge of the move. This will save a lot of confusion. When you book, we will go through the details of your move with this person. This person should know the layout of the new premises and be the only person directing or instructing your MiniMovers crew. On the moving day we will constantly communicate with this person to ensure a low cost move. If you need to, it can be a different person at each location, however, they must know what each other is doing.
THINGS TO CONSIDER:
The moving day and time. Our weekend and night rates are only slightly higher than weekday rates. Moves when nobody else is around (i.e. at night or on the weekend) are substantially faster, therefore lower in cost. You can also use this to your advantage, as it is a lot less disruptive to your operations.
Building access times and/or security requirements. It pays to check with your building supervisors. It is important you have lift keys – without them there is a risk of damage to the lifts, and the move will be considerably slower.
What you are moving and where you are going to put it. You need to finely plan this. Consider the physical size of objects, and where they will fit best in your new premises. You may find using a plan useful, as well as marking your boxes. We can advise the quick and easy ways to mark everything. Colour dots or coding works well in bigger office moves. This will substantially reduce the time your move will take.
Your staff. Do you want them to help with the move? Can they help with the move?
Pre-packing. With office moves, we recommend you use your own staff to pack. Your people know more about what you have, and where it belongs. Having your people pack is also a good opportunity to have a clean out. However, our pre-packing service, MiniMovers Pre-packing, is available to you if needed.
A few points that will help with your own packing:
Packing materials. MiniMovers Boxes to you has a full range of packing materials available, which can be delivered to your office, free of charge (in the Brisbane and Gold Coast areas only). Once you have made a booking with MiniMovers, you can order your materials on our oversupply system. Simply, we supply more materials than is needed, you use as much as you want, and when our movers arrive they take back what you haven’t used. Ultimately, you only pay for what you use, but have the peace of mind that you won’t run out of boxes half way through packing. We will also buy back used boxes after you have unpacked.
Dismantlers. When there are a lot of panels, shelves, racks, etc, that need to be dismantled before the movers arrive, we recommend you use our dismantlers who zip through the office with electric screwdrivers and unscrew everything. This has two advantages: it ensures everything is dismantled properly for moving, and it gives us a chance to fix any areas not quite finished. Our dismantlers will handle any handyman type tasks if needed. They can also reassemble anything after the move is completed.
The moving team. We charge in modules of a truck and two men, and any extra men as an individual cost. We can change the size of the crew during the move to suit the circumstances. This flexibility can generate large cost savings.
Parking permits. Brisbane City Council has restricted parking to a 20 minute maximum in the CBD; however, there are permits available upon application. We suggest you ring the council personally and make your situation known. We will do our best to meet council regulations, however, any fines incurred will be passed on to you.
Remember, MiniMovers is happy to handle any aspect of your move. We believe that it is your prerogative if you want to save money and help out in as many ways as you can.
We can often move you at short notice, but it is usually better to book your moving service as soon as you know when you want to move, what you want to move, and where you are moving to. Without these three factors, no one can give you an accurate price or availability.
With the MiniMovers system, packing the small items yourself is entirely your option. Pre-packing is time-consuming, and items packed by you are unfortunately not covered by the MiniMovers No Damage Guarantee. If you are concerned by this, and want your small items covered, then please call us on 1300 366 000 and we can arrange a professional MiniMovers Pre-packing pre-packer.
Packing your small items into boxes specifically designed for moving will substantially shorten your moving time, therefore reducing your moving cost. MiniMovers Boxes to You has a full range of packing materials, and can deliver the materials to your door, free of charge (in the Brisbane and Gold Coast areas only). Our packing materials are designed to both protect your goods and ensure an efficient move. The boxes are strong and are easily stackable. A full list of our packing materials is available on our Packing Materials Price List. Also, ask about our 30-minute video Packing Moving Made Easy, which is free when returned. We also buy back our boxes and unused packing materials after you have unpacked.
Keep the following things in mind when pre-packing:
When packing yourself, understanding some of the basics the professionals use will help. When our MiniMovers Pre-packing pre-packers go to packing school, they are taught to pack a box so that nothing is broken when the box is dropped from a height of 2.4 metres. Certainly, you dont need to achieve this standard, however, if you value your small breakables, you will want to pack properly.
When it comes to professional storage, you have two choices - general storage or self/mini storage.
In the general storage system, everything is stored in a warehouse situation. The goods are normally on pallets and wrapped in cardboard for security. Several problems occur with this system. Loss and/or damage has become common, and accessing your stored items is difficult. Unfortunately many traditional removal companies still use this system. General storage has earned such a bad name in the removal industry, many businesses mislead their clients to the type of storage being used.
As a result, mini or self storage facilities have become established throughout Australia, and indeed the world. This system offers greater security and is more convenient to use. Self storage allows you to hire a lockable unit, usually within a secured area. You are able to access your unit almost anytime, and only you have a key to the door.
There are two types of self storage companies within the industry - those with on site managers or those who use booking agents.
Both service and security are far superior at storage facilities with on site managers. Storage facilities that use only a fence and/or security company to secure the area should be avoided. The best storage for you to use is normally: the one closest to your address, one that has on site managers, and one with a range of sized units to suit your needs.
As the MiniMovers network extends between Noosa, Tweed Heads and Toowoomba, and your storage is best close by, we have opted not to have our own storage. We have no direct ties with any individual storage facilities and will not be involved in commissions. Our policy is to refer customers to the nearest self storage facility with an on site manager. You then become their customer.
If you are storing because you are selling and buying your property (at the same time), then we suggest storing should be your last option. Check out MiniMovers hints , Timing Your Move with Property Settlements below. This is designed to help you keep your costs down.
What size unit do you need? Normally we can give you a rough idea when you are booking our services. A factor you should take into consideration is the length of time you are storing. If you are storing short-term (less than 3 months), then you should use a bigger unit, or if you are storing long-term (more than 3 months), it is cheaper for you to squeeze everything into a smaller unit. We have helped store thousands of people and very rarely have any problems.
These hints are applicable for Queensland only. Legal advice should also be sought.
When you have a property settlement, deciding the time to start your move can be very confusing. To keep it simple and ensure an easy, stress free move, we have formulated the following advice:
Single Property Settlements: If possible, when buying, move in the day AFTER settlement. If selling, move out the day BEFORE settlement.
Double Property Settlements: If you are selling AND buying and the contracts have been organised so they settle on the same day, then you have a double property settlement.
When you have a double property settlement, it is vital that you organise the timing of your move.
Solicitors are bound to advise their customers on the legal situation. Simply put, you should move out of your present home BEFORE settlement and not move into your new home until AFTER settlement. The actual settlement time is subject to agreement of all parties (including solicitors, finance people, etc) and will not be set until about three days prior to the event. Many settlement times get changed on the actual day. Having your movers meet these unpredictable time constraints becomes almost impossible.
To overcome this dilemma, we recommend you follow this procedure:
Also, consider the following:
Separate Settlement Dates
If you are buying AND selling, and the settlement dates are not the same day, then we suggest you attempt to rent one of the properties. Failing this attempt, store your items on one of the properties (in a garage etc). Only as a last resort should you consider using a storage company as it almost doubles your moving costs. However, we can advise you of suitable storage if it is needed.